What are the potential risks, complications, and problems with a dental implant?
If your teeth are dropping, dental implants will help rebuild your confidence. Whether you want one tooth or numerous, dental implants are normally an excellent solution. They’re created as an artificial replacement for tooth roots, connected to the jawbone and gum tissue like a small bolt. It forms a support for the replacement teeth.
The risks, complications, and problems
- If the patient is a smoker and going through dental implant surgery, it is difficult to fix the implant in the jawbone because smoking makes the gums, decreases blood flow, and can cause failure in implanting. Even if an implant gets placed, it will take time to heal because of smoking.
- If the jawbone is weak, then it is difficult to place the implant in the jawbone because weak bone cannot handle the implant, and it will also lead to bone loss which also means a decrease in bone density. Bone can also become brittle and double the risk of bone fracture, so go through the jawbone examination before getting ready for dental implant surgery.
- Patients with diabetes or autoimmune disease also have a high risk of dental implant breakdown. Before deciding on the surgery, tells all the medical history and current conditions to your doctor.
- Complications occur when poor hygiene is maintained. If you face any teeth problems, you should check the hygiene because poor hygiene creates problems after the dental implant surgery.
- Always choose the best and experienced surgeon. If the surgeon does not have full knowledge and experience, it can cause serious damage to your teeth and gums. It is recommended to seek highly professional dental implant surgeons to reduce the risk of failed surgery.
- Within three to four months, there is a high risk of implant failure, and you can go through pain where the surgery is done.
- There is a risk of infections after the surgery and can be during the surgery. Infection can occur due to diabetes, poor oral hygiene, autoimmune disease, smoking, and other problems.
- Sometimes implants do not get properly fix on the jaw and move slightly. Some doctors immediately fix it and sometimes patient ignores or do not notice the movement. Later, it can cause critical issues such as infection, implantation failure, and natural implant removal while eating or putting force on that jawbone.
- While performing endosteal surgery, titanium alloy is placed in the jawbone, and it doesn’t suit all the patients. If you are allergic to metal, inform your doctor and implant some other element. Symptoms of allergy are swelling prickling feeling, and lack of taste.
- There are also implant failure risks if the patient does not follow the instructions told by the doctor. Most faults also happen because of not following the guidance given by the surgeon.
- Care should be taken of the implant as any injury can damage your implant even after successful surgery.
- Dental implant rupture can increase swelling, gum retreat, gum infection, trouble in eating food.
- Patients with gum disease should not get operated on for implants because already there is an infection in the gums. Firstly, get treatment for gum infection, and after getting healed, the surgeon will perform the procedure of surgery.
- Most of the problems in gums like weakness, fracture, swelling, and infection can be difficult to cure after implant surgery. Antibiotics are given to treat these gum diseases, and the implant is removed and placed again after the gum gets healthy.
- There is always the risk of sinus if the implant is placed on the upper jaw, and it can also create the risk of sinus infection. The bones in our faces have holes and empty spaces, and the spaces inside them are called sinuses.
- The risk of blood vessel damage during the dental implant procedure will create complications during the process. Before surgery, all tests and X-rays need to be performed to avoid these problems.
- In rare cases, this happens when the doctor is not professional, or by mistake, he breaks the blood vessels by destroying the nearby roots of the jawbone while drilling in it to install the implant.
There are risks, complications, and problems before, during, and even after the surgery if the doctors do not follow proper guidelines. Serious issues will do not build if you get treated on time and take proper care. Some precautions need to be taken to avoid these problems and do not regret dental implant surgery.